Fantastic family-friendly fun awaits you at The Old Globe
It’s that time of year again, as the 21st annual production of the famous Dr. Seuss story “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” takes center stage at The Old Globe Theatre.
This annual tradition is a must-see during the holiday season. The entire plaza is abuzz with the cheerful voices of theatergoers. Twinkling snowflakes shine and shimmer adorned beautifully atop the Balboa Park Bell Tower. Outside the theatre, both young and old wait with anticipation, like true believers waiting to open their presents from Santa on Christmas morning. We could not think of a better way to ring in the holiday and get your Christmas spirit on!
Experience the magic
We were lucky enough to attend the play a couple years ago. The mood was lively and colorful upon our arrival. We took full advantage of the convenient snack bar located just steps away from the theatre. It was nice to sit outside with a festive adult beverage while we waited to enter the theater. The area was beautifully decorated with a massive Christmas tree ornamented with great precision and care. You could smell the sweet scent of hot chocolate and spiced cider lingering through the air. We recommend arriving at least an hour early. If not only to enjoy the walk around Balboa Park, but also take those memorable family pictures and super cool selfies.
The stage was gorgeously decorated with festive lights of all shapes and sizes. Every little cosmetic detail, from the Whos down in Whoville to the elaborate green feathered Grinch costume, was perfect. The catchy songs delighted our ears and we enjoyed laughing together as we watched the characters come alive on stage. A sense of community was shared by all.
5 Reasons why we love “The Grinch”
- The Message – Although people can get into a funk or a mood, it is always best to try and accept them for who they are with compassion and kindness. Tis the season to love and give, but really, let’s extend this idea throughout the year!
2. Timeless characters and magical makeup – the story is everlasting and the visuals are magnificent.
- Reimagined versions of the classic songs – you will want to sing along!
- Pre-play festivities – Old Globe Plaza is a great place to hang out, take those holiday pictures, and enjoy a drink before the show.
- A great way to entertain extended family over the holidays – want to impress those holiday visitors and extended family? Look no further.
Below are a few images from our experience and some candid moments from the show, courtesy of The Old Globe…
Ticket prices vary depending on the day of the week, time of the show, and the proximity to Christmas week. Plan to get your tickets early so you can save some money and enjoy this ageless story that will warm the soul.
Dates: Shows run through December 29th, 2018, check the website for show dates and times
Location: The Old Globe Theatre – 1363 Old Globe Way in Historic Balboa Park
Run Time: 1 hour 25 minutes with no intermission
Tip for Parents: Children under the age of three will only be admitted to 11:00am performances. At the 11:00 a.m. performances only, children under the age of two are free but must occupy the same seat and sit on the lap of a parent or guardian in attendance. Regardless of age, each audience member, including babes in arms, must have a ticket to be admitted into the theatre.